UP court to pronounce verdict on Rahul Gandhis remarks on November 7
Sambhal (UP) - A court here on Tuesday reserved its verdict in a case registered against Congress leader Rahul Gandhi for his alleged "fight with the Indian state" statements made earlier this year. Officials said that Additional District Judge (ADJ) II Aarti Faujdar in Chandausi district court has fixed November 7 for pronouncing the verdict.
The case was filed by Hindu Shakti Dal national president Simran Gupta, who alleged that Gandhi's remarks had hurt public sentiments. Gupta said, "During the inauguration of the Delhi Congress office on January 15, Rahul Gandhi had said that our fight is not with the BJP or the RSS but with the 'Indian state'. His statement hurt the sentiments of people across the country."
Gupta said that he had initially complained to several officials, including the Sambhal District Magistrate and the Superintendent of Police, but no action was taken. After this, he filed a complaint in the Chandausi court on January 23.
The hearings in the case were held on May 7, June 16, July 18, August 25 and September 26 and the arguments were completed on Tuesday. "I presented the defence today, arguing that the revision petition is not maintainable. The court heard both the sides and fixed November 7 for the decision," said senior advocate Sagir Saifi, representing Gandhi.
